Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Malaysian Embassy

Last week, I went to the Malaysian Embassy to have my passport renewed. The last time I did that I was about nine. So since such a long time has passed, I have long forgotten the experience of the previous trip. I was sure it is currently in a different place where I had gone before.

After a breakfast of waffles (yum!) at home, I proceeded to the embassy, with my father driving. We have read from online forums that the queue would be very long so we decided to go there earlier. We were rather early but there was indeed a queue there already. Fortunately, it was not very long, but the embassy was not even open yet. We joined the queue and like everyone else took out something to occupy ourselves with lest we get bored. Most were reading newspapers, I was multi-tasking a little - listening to my ipod while reading getting up to date on the latest happenings in the world.

Finally at about 7.30, the large gates of the embassy opened. Everyone swarmed in and reformed the queue at the entrance to where our photos whould be taken. We were given a number each and told to wait till the number is called. Once again and started to kill time with the methods mentioned above. I waited till my number 286 was called then I went to sit in a 18 second photo taking booth. I sat and waited. The person manning the booth told me to get ready and 3,2,1. And the photo was taken. Only then did I realise that my left eye was a bit funny in that it always seemed half closed. My right eye was fully opened.

Anyway afterwards we were told to go to a counter where things will be finalised. My parents submitted the necessary documents and we were told to come in person to collect it the next day. I find it a troublesome process. Fortunately, I only need to go through this hassle once every 5 years. The embassy was a rather efficient place, where things are rather routine and settled quickly. Unfortunately I was unable to get a photo of it on the internet. I suppose they wanted some security. It was a modern place and beautiful decorations. It was really a pleasant and interesting experience on the whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment